Saturday, March 23, 2013

Off To Uganda

One more day of meeting with Janet and Julie to catch up on some final details:  the financing of the latrine at the school in Minjingu (for a history of that fiasco, see the post from our last trip entitled Greed, Generosity and Corruption); sharing some of the products we purchased at the market in Arusha to give new ideas to the Miichi women for batiks; tips on packing the carvings to minimize breakage; request for new microloan to Mama Deborah; and final accounting for how much Asante owes Janet and Ima for the transportation while we have been here.

I have been worried this entire time about our trip to Uganda.  For the first time in my adult life, I am traveling without my yellow International Certificate of Vaccination.  It is a card on which is recorded all my vaccinations over the past 30 years, including my yellow fever shot.  I was told while we were in Ketumbeine, that Uganda requires proof of yellow fever vaccination in order to enter the country.  I have been stressing out about this, and praying continually and unceasingly that the way would be opened for me to enter without the card.  I wrote a friend who went to my house and searched for that damn card, to no avail.  At last, I resigned myself to the idea that if I couldn't get into Uganda, I would just come home early since I couldn't go back into Tanzania without another tourist visa.  So it was with some apprehension that I got on the plane for Uganda. Had a great flight with wonderful visibility and in no time (well, in an hour and a half ) we were landing at Entebbe Airort.  Came into the airport, filled out the immigration card, picked up my suitcase, took a deep breath and headed to the official -- who scanned my passport, took my $50 for my tourist visa, and wished me a pleasant stay in Uganda.  WHEW!  What an answer to prayer.  Once I was in our car heading for Ft. Portal, I finally relaxed.  And I haven't stopped thanking God for His intervention.  Now my biggest challenge when I get home is finding that card, and never leaving home without it!

Long and lovely drive to Ft. Portal, which is all the way across the country of Uganda from Entebbe and Kampala.  Took us about 5 hours, since the road is in good shape with good tarmac all the way.  And the Rwenzori Mtn. View lodge is as lovely as I remember it.  Ineke, who is our contact person for the Rwenzori Mtn. women, who weave some of our lovliest baskets, is gracious, welcoming and runs a fine hostel.  This is another place I could stay for an extended length of time.  Too bad I don't have anything productive to do here, otherwise I probably would stay for a while!  There is always an eclectic group of people from all over the world staying here at Ineke's and they are always interesting to talk with.

Thursday we walked all over Ft. Portal, starting with a stop at the bank for an ATM.  Somehow, it seems as if there is a more established infrastructure here in Uganda than in Tanzania, even though it doesn't really show.  Maybe it is that there has been a large influx of international aide to Uganda, which hasn't been available to Tanzania; maybe it is just that the city and county of Ft. Portal has invested in new buildings, paved roads and sidewalks.  Anyway, it is just quite pleasant here.  We also walked up into the Botanical Gardens and took a guided walk through the garden and forest, learning about herbal remedies for all manner of ailments as well as listening to our guide describe some of the reforestation programs in the country.  Dinner was exceptional--a fine ending to a lovely day.

Yesterday we visited our basket ladies, which was, as usual, inspiring.  These women are so gifted and they work so hard.  None of them depends solely on baskets for her income.  Some of them have small shops, all of them keep gardens and some animals, and they have families as well.  They have created some lovely new products, designs and colors.  We were able to describe for them what folks in the US like and what they don't seem to like, and what sells and what doesn't.  I think I will be able to order some wonderful new baskets for my holiday sales in Alaska.

And when it rains here, it absolutely pours.  Last night we had the most intense lightening, thunder and rain I can remember.  Even growing up in south Forida, we didn't have rains like we had last night.  It was very loud on the metal roof, and I just loved it.  Slept quite well . . .

Today we had planned to take a one day excursion over to Queen Elizabeth National Park, but unfortunately, Kathy was ill last night, so we are hanging out here all day.  Which is no hardship at all!



No comments:

Post a Comment