Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Just 5 days and already adventures!

Arrived safely after 3 very long, exhausting but uneventful flights.     Arrived at Kilimanjaro Airport at just about midnight and then began the interminable wait to get through immigration.  But even that was finally realized and we went to baggage claim.  And lo and behold . . . All our bags arrived.    Since the Uhuru Lutheran Hostel is full for the KilimanjaroMarathon, we are at the Umoja, where Mary Ann and I stayed on our first trip.  

Last time I stayed here, the shower and sink flooded the bedroom every time the water was turned on . . . This time there wasn't any water to flood anything !  A bit of water  in a pail, so at least I could have a camp bath, to wash off the 31 hours of travel grime.  Didn't think I would be able to sleep, but I completely crashed until the Imam woke me up at 4 a.m. with the call to prayer.  I could have slept longer, and did, at least, fall back asleep.  Most of Sunday, we wandered around Moshi, trying to convince ourselves we were getting over our jet lag.  Visited some of our favorite curio shops and then dinner at an Indian restaurant.  Moshi has certainly grown in the last couple of years.

Monday, Janet picked us up after  breakfast and we went to her house.  Met with Mrs. Mobutu, Mama Harrison, Glory, Mama Light, along with some folks from Colorado Springs and Janet's pastor friend from Germany.  All of the Tanzanian women we gathered with are those who do the tailoring and sewing for Miichi Women and Asante.  Tea first, of course, with samosas, chapatis, tea and coffee.  During our discussion, we relayed our concerns with quality control, consistent sizing, etc.  We were also able to get an idea of how much of each person's income is generate by their sales to AN.  

Early Tuesday we headed back out to Janet's for a get together with Puzo, one of the main artists for the wax batiks.  Again, we talked about color, new designs and subjects for the wax batiks.  I purchased some little dolls that I thought Mama Light mighty be able to make, plus some other craft items to give Puzo and the women some new ideas.  They are so creative that they only need some new ideas as to what might sell in the US, and they can produce some wonderful things!

And Tuesday night, my body rebelled and decided to purge itself of anything I may have eaten or drunk in the last several days.  First time I have ever been sick here in any of my a visits.  So Wednesday was a waste . . . Thank God for Kathy and Stan who were such a blessing in helping me recover.

Enough for now.  Waiting for Emmanuel to pick us up for transport to Ketumbeine and the Maasai.  More later.  


No comments:

Post a Comment