Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Asante's Alaskan isn't in Tanzania anymore!

And so, I'm back in Alaska.  Stan and Kathy are in Uganda; I spent my last day in Tanzania with Janet and Julie, receiving the financial reports on the micro-loans, discussing how to get reluctant borrowers to pay, and trying to complete the worksheets for our Fair Trade certification.  And, since everyone was invited to the next-door party for the baptism of the neighbor's grand-daughter, I got to attend as well! 

All too soon it was time to head into the airport.  Somewhere along the way I picked up some kind of respiratory bug, so my 24 hours of travel was made even more difficult with a sore throat and laryngitis.  Ugh!  But I talked with a fellow from Bethel who was returning to Alaska from skiing in India, and he had spent 3 days in the hospital in New Delhi with dysentary -- so in the whole scope of things, a sore throat didn't seem all that bad!

I will be working on my photos over the next couple of days, so I should have a link to a Picasa web-album available shortly.  I'll also be able to post some thoughts on the trip once I am over this immediate jet lag and can get myself re-adjusted to the fact that there is still snow on the ground here!

Thanks for staying with me through this blog; I'll talk to you all tomorrow.
Cheers  :-)

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your photo book once you're feeling better. Enjoyed hearing of your journey and the hands-on experiences of the Asante crew. Whew! Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! God bless your work.

    ReplyDelete