Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sometimes I get so involved in writing about what we are doing, and the factual background of our experiences, that I forget to mention how much I love it here.  It is just so beautiful.

Seeing Mt. Kilimanjaro out my window at 6 in the morning as the rising sun reflects off the snow on the summit; listening to the bush-babies squawking and chirping in the trees as they fight about the fruit; the silken night breezes blowing through the trees and rustling the leaves; the wonderful smoky flavor of goat milk stirred into ginger tea in a Maasai boma; watching the incredible array of stars in this southern sky, especially since I only recognize a very few of the constellations we know in the northern hemisphere; the unexpected view of a herd of giraffes just yards from the track we are on.

And somehow I love the red dust that coats everything in this dry season; and the smell of the charcoal burners that people cook their food on; and the incredible warmth and welcome of the people we know and the people we are soon to meet.  The geography and topography is fascinating and the land is ancient. 

And even though Tanzania is a swirling vortex of need, the people here have hope and dignity and so many of them have a vision for the future.  And when everything is said and done -- Tanzanians want the same thing for their children that we want for ours -- a good education, a better life and a clean environment for them to live in. 

1 comment:

  1. beautiful descriptions - I can't wait to go this fall. I've started my Swahili lessons today.

    ReplyDelete